You love your pet. Whether you have a cat or a dog, or both, you may not know everything about these favourite furry friends. This article will take a look at some of the best fun facts about your cat and dog to help you better understand them and to have some fun trivia tidbits.
- Dogs and cats both have unique nose prints, with each animal having their own pattern just like a human’s fingerprints.
- A dog ear requires 18 muscles to move, which is necessary for dogs to pinpoint the exact origin of a sound much faster than humans are able to.
- Cats sleep more than other mammals, spending 16 hours every day sleeping. So, a cat that is 7 would likely have spent only a total of 2 years of its life awake.
- Cats spend around 30% of their time awake grooming themselves.
- Despite common misconceptions, dogs can actually see in colour. However, they see things more as a colour-blind person would see them and see much better in low light situations.
- Dogs that have “smushed” or “squashed” faces like pugs, boxers, and bulldogs are more prone to dental problems, respiratory issues, and various other health problems.
- All kittens are actually born with blue eyes, which will change colour after 2 weeks of having their eyes open.
- As cats walk, they will move their front left leg in tandem with their back left leg, with the right legs following the same tandem motion. They are among the only mammals who do this, with the only other mammals being camels and giraffes.
- When a dog has a wet nose, they can smell better because the mucus can actually attract and catch more of the chemical scent particles in the air.
- Cats only meow at humans to get their attention (and usually food/treats), but they don’t meow at other cats.
- A group of cats is called a “clowder”, whereas a group of kittens are called a “kindle”.
- A dog’s intelligence is around the same as a child that is 2 or 3. This means that they can not only understand up to 200 words, but they can also understand hand movements and signals.
- Cats domesticated themselves as a means of survival, as they would get free food in exchange for pest removal. Over time, they got rid of some of their natural aggression and became close friends with humans.
- Ever wonder why your cat is so quiet as it moves? This is because cats only walk on their toes, allowing them to move faster and quieter to catch their prey.
- Cats are capable of as many as 100 different vocal sounds.
- Dogs and cats can taste scents. Dogs lick the scent off of their nose, where the mucus catches the scent. Cats look like they are sniffing the air when they do this.
- Cats have no collarbone, which helps them to be more flexible.
- Dalmatians are not born with spots. When they are born, they have white fur and the spots start appearing after they are 1 week old.
Pets RIP hope that you learned some great new facts about cats and dogs with this article.